TMZ WEBSITE CLEANUP AND
Well, I can't post the images of the final redesign but I CAN talk about the big visual audit I did with Code & Theory to help TMZ improve their site.
I looked at TMZ.com have found many visual design issues affecting the user's experience. All of these issues could be solved through refining TMZ's existing brand language and developing a consistent system that can be implemented site wide. I broke the problems down into 3 main categories: Hierarchy/Type, Graphic Elements, and Layout. Here is an example from the audit along with a story from the main page illustrating these points.
1. Too many inconsistencies with the size and visual weight of typography.
2. Many areas with type feel visually cluttered (i.e. header, area below post detail).
3. Inconsistent type callouts and graphical type treatments overlaying photos.
1. Create a distinctive hierarchy for body copy, headers & callouts
2. Organize information and balance content with whitespace for easier flow.
3. Create a system for text making clear what is actionable.
Images from the fully re-designed site as soon as it's live!